Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kanabco2/public_html/vmsbbs/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kanabco2/public_html/vmsbbs/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Casey's job
VMS Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 12:44:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

Virtual Machine Shop Forum  |  Machine Tool Technology  |  Off Topic  |  Topic: Casey's job « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply Print
Author Topic: Casey's job  (Read 2960 times)
Ron
Admin
Registered Member

« on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:51 AM » Reply with quote

Casey is a welder. Not an ordinary welder but a certified licensed welder. He's a guy who put in 200 hours of intense training in arc,mig, tig, plasma, and torch. After two years of night school he took the AWS test and got his license. Only licensed welders can work on skyscrapers and bridges. All of their weld seams are certified and that is important.. and profitable. He just got a raise to $40/hour. He works ten hours per day now.. and most Saturdays too. Like most people he gets time-and-half for anything over 40 hours. So with ten hours per day six days a week he is getting the equivalent of 40+20+10, 70 hours per week. which is $2800 per week which is $145,000 per year. And you know what? Contractors are begging for more welders like Casey but cant find any... they are importing Asian welders now and yes, they are AWS certified.

Most people would not believe a welder can make that kind of money. Most of them have never come close to it and some "some" even begrudge him making that money... and hate the unions for providing it. Most anti union people I have known have never made a decent wage in their life and are simply jealous. In fact I do not know one person getting union wages who ever hated the union after they get the job... only before. Reminds me... I got a job at a trucking company once because I knew the neighbors brother. He got me in. Teamsters paid 30% more than I could make in the machine shop and I was making decent wages then. Lost my drivers license so lost my job.

Union hatred is deep seeded and goes a long way back and it's too bad.

As an addendum it was brought to my attention that the hatred probably stems from politics rather than envy. I agree and forgot about the capitalist/labor wars in our history. But on a personal labor level -- not on an organized level -- its envy. As I said the guy who makes $17/hr at his non-union job finds jesus when he gets a union job starting at $25/hr.
DEN
Registered Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:13 PM » Reply with quote

Casey is a welder. Not an ordinary welder but a certified licensed welder. He's a guy who put in 200 hours of intense training in arc,mig, tig, plasma, and torch. After two years of night school he took the AWS test and got his license. Only licensed welders can work on skyscrapers and bridges. All of their weld seams are certified and that is important.. and profitable. He just got a raise to $40/hour. He works ten hours per day now.. and most Saturdays too. Like most people he gets time-and-half for anything over 40 hours. So with ten hours per day six days a week he is getting the equivalent of 40+20+10, 70 hours per week. which is $2800 per week which is $145,000 per year. And you know what? Contractors are begging for more welders like Casey but cant find any... they are importing Asian welders now and yes, they are AWS certified.

Most people would not believe a welder can make that kind of money. Most of them have never come close to it and some "some" even begrudge him making that money... and hate the unions for providing it. Most anti union people I have known have never made a decent wage in their life and are simply jealous. In fact I do not know one person getting union wages who ever hated the union after they get the job... only before. Reminds me... I got a job at a trucking company once because I knew the neighbors brother. He got me in. Teamsters paid 30% more than I could make in the machine shop and I was making decent wages then. Lost my drivers license so lost my job.

Union hatred is deep seeded and goes a long way back and it's too bad.

As an addendum it was brought to my attention that the hatred probably stems from politics rather than envy. I agree and forgot about the capitalist/labor wars in our history. But on a personal labor level -- not on an organized level -- its envy. As I said the guy who makes $17/hr at his non-union job finds jesus when he gets a union job starting at $25/hr.

I have never been union. In fact I have a very bad opinion about unions in general and it is no more envy than being envious of a billionaire. It is not the money it is the organization. I just hate the superiority they seem to convey.

Just my thoughts.

Den

Dwayne

When it comes to paradigms, shifts happen.
Ron
Admin
Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:55:54 PM » Reply with quote

point taken
ghoulardi
Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:14:51 PM » Reply with quote

Worked in a union shop once. NEVER AGAIN ! Pay wasn't any better than anywhere else and it seemed to me like thu guys were more interested in "gaming the system" than putting out quality work in a timely manner to benefit all.

Just my .02

If ypu want to know what God thinks about money just look at who he gave it to !
Port
Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:42:35 PM » Reply with quote

Worked in a union shop once. NEVER AGAIN ! Pay wasn't any better than anywhere else and it seemed to me like thu guys were more interested in "gaming the system" than putting out quality work in a timely manner to benefit all.

Just my .02

I worked union for years and didn't care what they did with my dues. I made almost 40% more there than I could anywhere on the outside and had great benefits. I suppose it makes a difference which union or trade you work in.  I'm in management now and work longer hours without the benefits but I am happy about the trade.

Port
Ron
Admin
Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:10:14 PM » Reply with quote

Just my .02

I worked union for years and didn't care what they did with my dues. I made almost 40% more there than I could anywhere on the outside and had great benefits. I suppose it makes a difference which union or trade you work in.  I'm in management now and work longer hours without the benefits but I am happy about the trade.

Port

Perhaps I am repeating myself (I do a lot of that theses days) but I was union twice.

First time was for Norris Industries as a line inspector during the 'nam war making 250 and 500 lb bombs. That was UAW and I wasn't making much more than I could outside somewhere. Didnt care for the union rep walking around glad handing us. Overall bad taste.

Second time was teamsters. My neighbor's brother in law drove a bobtail for Braswell Freight and I was making medium wages as a precision grinder. So I asked him to put in a good word for me and he did and I got a job driving a truck. My area was the north side... from LA City Hall up to Pasadena about ten miles wide. I loved it. I made maybe 20% more, didn't have to work hard, and had all the benefits. I got my DL suspended for not paying tickets and lost that job.

I'd say the Teamsters was a good thing. UAW was just in the way.

Oh! I almost forgot. I was also union at Cerritos College. The unions didn't do anything for me at all.. I was already a tenured professor so I just paid my dues... for nothing.

As I have said before, I have yet to meet a Union employee in a major discipline like Casey's that was anti-union when they were making 50% more. And also I say I understand the political aspect in that Unions support Democratic politicians mostly. Given the partisan landscape today I can see the union hatred growing. 

Just sayin.
Carl
Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:39:28 PM » Reply with quote

In my years I have never seen job shop go union. I think you have to have a very large employee base to make it work for anyone.  We had almost 100 employees once and never did anyone talk about collective bargaining.

Carl
Dean
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:26:05 AM » Reply with quote

I am union and damn proud of it.
Good article.

Social Bookmarks

Fatal error: Call to undefined function load_socialbookmarks() in /home/kanabco2/public_html/vmsbbs/Sources/Load.php(2164) : eval()'d code on line 806